Litigation is not linear, it is messy and often backtracks on itself several times as knowledge increases and evidence is gathered at different stages from investigation through deposition and planning a trial strategy. It is rare that the knowledge that exists at the beginning of a case is the final information that you need at trial. Unfortunately, many eDiscovery platforms were developed as linear tools, moving in strict order from the data collection stage through the document production stage, generally following the EDRM model.
While cases do generally flow like a river, prior tools assumed that the river was absolutely straight, with water entering at the top and flowing straight to the sea. Actually, cases have many twists and turns in them, with information flowing into the data stream at multiple entry points, requiring litigators to revisit the data as assumptions change and knowledge increases. Flexibility is the new requirement in an eDiscovery platform. Tools need to be deployed whenever the team needs them, not when the software dictates that they be used.
Cavo eD covers all stages of the EDRM from Pre-Processing through Production and Document Presentation, integrated into an intuitive user interface. eDiscovery workflows all interconnect and often require a flexible implementation to account for the everyday twists and turns of litigation. The integrated Ribbon Bar is the launch point for all essential work modules without the need for any software add-ons. These modules include: Pre-processing, Processing Plus+, Case Management, Macroview, Thematic Search, Review, Quality Control, Production, Enterprise and Predictive Coding including all the analytics and early case assessment tools needed for drilling into the data. Everything that is needed to prepare for litigation is included in an integrated, flexible platform, creating tremendous case efficiencies. Once data has been processed, any module can be used at any time based on the needs of the litigation.
- All tools are accessible in any module accessed with the Ribbon Bar. This improves the ability of a user to quickly respond to constantly changing fact patterns and addition of new data.
- Cavo eD includes Pre-Processing analytics that allow Early Data Assessment, PST explosions and metadata filtering to assist in culling data and determining a document priority for processing and review.
- Powerful Intelligent Search based on dominant themes rather than just keywords provides a deeper and richer understanding of the data corpus.
- Case argument outlines can be built with live document links, all within the software
- Document Productions are completed without exporting documents to another system
Like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, eDiscovery workflows – Pre-processing, Processing, ECA, Search, Predictive Coding, Review, Analysis and Production – naturally interconnect. In practice, these connections are often multidimensional and non-linear.
- Analytics are not confined to the Search and Identification portions of a project; they are often needed in both Processing and Production, to verify findings at different times.
- First pass review might result in further document processing requirements.
- Further parsing of documents into subcategories after reviews start often speeds up review times. Having sophisticated filtering options as part of review is an example of flexible workflows.
- Ingesting a “synthetic document” at any point during the document review often results in the identification of documents previously not identified through Search alone.
Being able to utilize any of the tools at any time in the process strengthens the user’s ability to be responsive to the current needs of the case and locate the missing pieces. Since Cavo eD is one product running on one platform with one user interface for all tasks, it increases productivity while reducing risk and improving quality control.