Full featured eDiscovery platforms are filled with options and choices to provide the widest variety of utility for users. This same complexity and “completeness” can make them hard to use effectively. No one uses all features that are available on every eDiscovery matter. Some features are used rarely, while others are only used at the beginning of a case. Remembering how to properly use some of these powerful features can be confusing. Action wizards are a way to easily provide the power and full feature set of the most advanced platforms, while making the product to easy to use.
Cavo eD created a series of action wizards, designing them to provide “shortcuts” to completing some of the more complex activities of the Case Administrators. We call them Quicklink Tools to indicate their ease of use; and access to them can be restricted to any User defined by the Case Administrator. Each wizard provides a brief reminder of the purpose and goal of the activity and then provides a step by step guide to achieve that goal. Creating shortcuts for common activities simplifies the operation of the Platform, without sacrificing any of the power of a full – featured system.
The Quicklink wizards are interactive templates which must either be accepted with the default settings provided, or customized by the user to meet their case goals and then move on to the next set of options. Currently Cavo eD has 9 Quicklink wizards. (Data Inventory, Case Setup, Manage Users, Review Set, Checklist, Processing, Production Template, Production and Export). Each wizard has a unique set of tabs and options that guide the user through the set up process.
So what do they look like and how do they save time? Let’s take a look at an example during this session.
Production templates are set up by the Case Administrator based on the negotiations with the opposing counsel about how documents are to be delivered, what data is to be included and what the documents look like. This should all be negotiated during the Meet and Confer in conjunction with your own technical in-house team. Once the template is set up, it can be called up for the remainder of the case with 1 click.
The Introduction Tab discusses the purpose of a creating a Standard Production profile/template which will contain the settings that will assure that all productions use the same settings and are consistent.
The steps to set up a Production Template include the following:
- Clicking on the Next Button brings up the first decision point: Selecting the format for the documents. (I selected Mulitpage Tiff)
- Configuring the production requires the user to go through the 8 tabs and making the selections needed to comply with the agreement.
- Details – Creating a name and selecting options for what to include
- File Naming – Specify file naming conventions
- File Structure – Setting the file structure
- Stamping – Applying stamping options if needed
- Watermark – Adding Watermark and pick location if needed
- Metadata – Including or excluding Metadata and picking the fields to include
- Load File – Selecting load file type
- Review and Save
- Once this is saved, the entire Production Template can be accessed by calling up the production template name and used for each document production in the case.